New York Driver With An Out Of State Traffic Ticket

It is not uncommon for a driver with a New York drivers license to receive a ticket in another state.  The worst thing you can do with an out of state ticket is to ignore it.  Failing to handle an out of state ticket can lead to your driving privileges being suspended in both states.

Reciprocal Agreements

New York has a number of reciprocal agreements with other states and Canadian provinces regarding the exchange of information and the treatment of drivers receiving out of state tickets.

First, is the Driver License Compact enacted at New York VTL 516.  Under the Driver License Compact the participating states agree to share driver information regarding out of state convictions relating to the use or operation of a motor vehicle.  In addition, the participating states agree to give the same effect to the following out of state convictions as if they had occurred in the home state:

  • Manslaughter or negligent homicide resulting from the operation of a motor vehicle
  • Driving a motor vehicle while under the influence of alcohol or drugs
  • Any felony involving the use of a motor vehicle
  • Failure to stop and render aid in the event of a motor vehicle accident resulting in the death or personal injury of another

All states participate in the Drivers License Compact except Georgia, Massachusetts, Michigan, Tennessee, and Wisconsin.

Second, is the Nonresident Violator Compact.  The Nonresident Violator compact is an agreement between the participating states to suspend the home state license of a driver who receives a ticket for a moving violation in another member state and fails to pay or otherwise legally resolve it.  All states participate in the Nonresident Violator Compact except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon, and Wisconsin.

Third, is the National Driver Registry.  The National Driver Registry is a computerized database of drivers whose license has been suspended or revoked, or convicted of a serious traffic violation.  All states participate in the National Driver Registry.

Finally, New York has a reciprocal agreement with the Canadian provinces of Quebec and Ontario to share information regarding moving violation convictions.

What Does All This Mean?

The New York DMV does not record out of state convictions of New York non-commercial licensed drivers, unless the moving violation was committed in the Canadian provinces of Ontario or Quebec.  For example, a speeding ticket conviction in New Jersey will not be recorded on your New York driving record, whereas, a conviction for speeding 16 mph over the speed limit in Ontario will be recorded on your New York driving record and cost you 4 points.

Even though New York does not record out of state convictions for moving violations, you cannot simply ignore them.  Your New York drivers license will be suspended if you fail to answer a ticket for a moving violation in any state except Alaska, California, Michigan, Montana, Oregon or Wisconsin.  Your license will remain suspended until you adequately answer the ticket.  In addition, your driving privileges will likely be suspended in the state where you received the ticket.

There are some moving violations that New York treats differently.  Out of state convictions for these violations will result in your New York drivers license being revoked:

  • Alcohol or drug related moving violations
  • Criminal negligence, homicide, or assault, which arise out of the operation of a motor vehicle and which results in death

What Should You Do?

The most important thing to do if you receive an out of state ticket is to legally resolve it.  Failing to legally resolve an out of state ticket puts your New York license at risk of being suspended.